Sunday, November 8, 2015

Potato Leek Soup Made With Your Best Julia Child Voice

Tonight I made Potato and Leek soup. Julia Child's recipe. This simple soup is elegant, creamy, and requires no adaptation to add flavor. The only thing I add to the soup is my Julia Child voice, which i'm told is on point.

French food is my specialty. I love how simple and clean it is. There is so much variety in a meal. Looking back over the recipes I have written in this blog, they are all French. I shifted away for a while to explore other cuisine, but I can't stay away from the fragrant, uncomplicated beauty of French food.

This is one of my favorite soups as it is. If you feel that you need to add a bunch of other ingredients, many people have adapted version of this recipe online. But here is the original from Julia Child's Master the Art of French Cooking.

This is a beautiful soup. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. It's the perfect time of year for it, too. When 4:30 pm feels like 6 and 6 pm feels like midnight. And don't forget dessert.

I may also add that I didn't use Russet potatoes. She doesn't specify the type of potato. I used 10 red and 10 yellow potatoes.

Ingredients:
1 lb potato, peeled 
3 cups leeks, thinly sliced (white and tender green parts only)
2 quarts water
1 tablespoon salt
4 -6 tablespoons whipping cream or 2 -3 tablespoons softened butter
2 -3 tablespoons chive

Directions:
Simmer vegetables, water and salt together, partially covered, 40-50 minutes until vegetables are tender.

Mash the vegetables in the soup with a fork, or puree in blender. Correct seasoning.

Just before serving, stir in cream or butter by spoonfuls. Add chives

That's it. Nothing but simple, clean food. Although I suggest having a slice of French ganache tart with it. I made one the other night. I didn't post my recipe, but if you want it I am happy to share it.
Happy cooking. I hope you all have help in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment